The Houston Family Law Blog

El Paso County Officials Conduct Child Support Roundup

| No TrackBacks

It some states it's rare for a person to be arrested for not paying child support. However, Texans should watch out because simply being delinquent on child support can mean serious business. The Cherokeean Herald reported that 20 parents in El Paso County were arrested earlier this week during a sweep, which focused on parents who are the subject of arrest warrants due to not paying their court-ordered child support.

The sweep kicked off at 4:30 a.m. on Tuesday when Sheriff Richard Wiles dispatched six teams of law enforcement officers to arrest the deadbeat parents before they had a chance to leave their homes for the day. When a person is arrested in Texas for failing to pay child support and goes to jail, the bail bonds posted are paid to the custodial parents and children who are owed back child support.

Non-custodial parents that have an outstanding arrest warrant for not paying child support can contact the El Paso County Sheriff's Office to avoid an arrest by working out an arrangement. In the Lone Star state, there are also Texas family law attorneys that can help those parents that are behind on child support payments. A family law attorney can file a motion to modify an existing child support order if one parent can show a change in their circumstances that necessitates the modification. Change in income or job termination are some reasons why a non-custodial parent may ask for the lowering of child support payments.

Related Resources:

  • FAQ Regarding Modification of Child Support Orders (FindLaw)
  • Contact a Houston Family Law Attorney  (FindLaw)
  • Changes to Child Support (FindLaw)

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: